Mamiya RZ67 220 6x7 back and 120 film question
Len Bryan
2004-02-20 01:53:07 UTC
Hi there,

I am using a friend's Mamiya RZ67 camera. It has a 220 film back with it (6x7
format). I see on the Mamiya website that there is a 6x6 format back that is
listed as possible to use 120 or 220 film. Does anyone know why 120 film can't
be used in the 220 (6x7) back? Has anyone tried it and had success? Is there a
modification of any kind that can be done?

Len "with a bunch of 120 film" Bryan
Mike
2004-02-20 02:10:18 UTC
Post by Len Bryan
Hi there,
I am using a friend's Mamiya RZ67 camera. It has a 220 film back with it (6x7
format). I see on the Mamiya website that there is a 6x6 format back that is
listed as possible to use 120 or 220 film. Does anyone know why 120 film can't
be used in the 220 (6x7) back? Has anyone tried it and had success? Is there a
modification of any kind that can be done?
Len "with a bunch of 120 film" Bryan
The concern with running 120 thru a 220 back is that with the paper 120 is
thicker and *may* place a strain on the back's winding mechanism.
Len Bryan
2004-02-20 03:50:35 UTC
Post by Mike
The concern with running 120 thru a 220 back is that with the paper 120 is
thicker and *may* place a strain on the back's winding mechanism.
That makes sense. I may try it out with an old roll of film I have. If it feels
like it is straining, I won't do it again.
Thanks,

Len Bryan
David Strip
2004-02-20 20:13:50 UTC
Post by Len Bryan
Post by Mike
The concern with running 120 thru a 220 back is that with the paper 120 is
thicker and *may* place a strain on the back's winding mechanism.
That makes sense. I may try it out with an old roll of film I have. If it feels
like it is straining, I won't do it again.
Thanks,
No reason to use old film. The real danger is to the film back on your *borrowed*
camera. I'd ask the friend before running the film through the camera. Even if
he/she says yes, if the winding feels tough, abandon it and toss the film since
there is no way to rewind or wind to the end without risking further damage.

You may also find the pictures aren't as sharp since the film may be in the wrong
plane - I've never really stopped to think what determines the location of the film
plane in the RB/RZ backs.
Len Bryan
2004-02-20 21:05:53 UTC
Post by David Strip
Post by Len Bryan
Post by Mike
The concern with running 120 thru a 220 back is that with the paper 120 is
thicker and *may* place a strain on the back's winding mechanism.
That makes sense. I may try it out with an old roll of film I have. If it feels
like it is straining, I won't do it again.
Thanks,
No reason to use old film. The real danger is to the film back on your *borrowed*
camera. I'd ask the friend before running the film through the camera. Even if
he/she says yes, if the winding feels tough, abandon it and toss the film since
there is no way to rewind or wind to the end without risking further damage.
You may also find the pictures aren't as sharp since the film may be in the wrong
plane - I've never really stopped to think what determines the location of the film
plane in the RB/RZ backs.
I've asked about it and he is O.K. with the test. However, the more I think
about it, it's not worth it to me. I do have a 120 (6x4.5) back for it and can
use the 120 film with that. I'll just have to go buy some 220 rolls for 6x7. I
agree that it isn't worth the risk to the camera back. I would be mortified to
damage his camera. Also, I didn't consider the potential focus issue. Using 220
film will certainly reduce the time spent loading film. 8-] (I'm not smooth
with this camera yet)

It seems that there is "slightly" more variety in films for 220 vs. 120. That is
likely only a store level stock issue though.

Thanks,

Len Bryan
David J. Littleboy
2004-02-21 00:58:37 UTC
Post by Len Bryan
I've asked about it and he is O.K. with the test. However, the more I think
about it, it's not worth it to me. I do have a 120 (6x4.5) back for it and can
use the 120 film with that. I'll just have to go buy some 220 rolls for 6x7. I
agree that it isn't worth the risk to the camera back. I would be mortified to
damage his camera. Also, I didn't consider the potential focus issue. Using 220
film will certainly reduce the time spent loading film. 8-] (I'm not smooth
with this camera yet)
There are a lot of people who claim that 220 film lies flatter than 120 in
these sorts of cameras. I _seem_ to be getting no more funky soft areas with
my 35mm lens on my Mamiya 645 since I switched to 220.
Post by Len Bryan
It seems that there is "slightly" more variety in films for 220 vs. 120. That is
likely only a store level stock issue though.
Actually, I think it's the other way around: there are quite a few films
(e.g. XP2) that aren't available in 220. Of course, XP2 is so gross and
grody that you'd never notice film flatness problems...

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
David Strip
2004-02-23 19:41:30 UTC